One last, important order of business for SASFED before the close of the year is the development of its positions on the Public Service Broadcasting Bill. The deadline for submissions on the Bill is 15 January 2010.
Among the provisions of the Bill are:
• alignment of public broadcasting, including community television, to a developmental state;
• establishment of a fund from personal income tax and its administration by the MDDA, including for use by commercial brocasters;
• organisation of the public broadcaster into public, commercial and international divisions, and including regional services and specialist channels;
• interventionist powers for the Minister;
• establishment of a local content advisory body and an audience advisory council.
Please attend a SASFED discussion on these and other proposals to help formulate SASFED's positions.
The discussion will provide the basis for SASFED's submission to be drafted as early as possible in the new year.
DATE: Tuesday, 15 December
VENUE: Atlas Studios
Please reply indicating whether you will be attending or not. Email firstname.lastname@example.org