20 August 2010
19 August 2010
- Is the MAT necessary when we have the Pressombudsman and the Press Council?
- Is the MAT a veiled attempt to censor the media by the ANC?
- Is self regulation through a Press Council better than statutory regulation through a MAT?
18 August 2010
Postponement of SOS/COSATU/Constitutional Hill seminar - "The SABC Crisis - Finding Lasting Solutions"
- Goksen Effendi- Executive Producer & Production Design
- Raoull Dyssell- Director and Casting Director
- Carla Ann Roberts- Cinematographer & Lighting design
- Oscar Shih- Editor and Sound design
15 August 2010
The “SOS: Support Public Broadcasting” Coalition
16th August 2010
INVITATION TO ATTEND THE SOS COALITION, COSATU AND CONSTITUTION HILL JOINT SEMINAR ON: THE SABC CRISIS – FINDING LASTING SOLUTIONS.
The SOS Coalition in partnership with COSATU and Constitution Hill take great pleasure in inviting you to a seminar on “The SABC Crisis – Finding Lasting Solutions” to be held on the 19th August 2010.
A number of recent events point to a deepening and worsening governance and management crisis at the SABC. The crises include issues surrounding the appointment of the Head of News, and alleged problems with financial management including the distribution of bonuses etc. We hope the seminar will air all the issues and allow for frank discussion with the purpose of finding “lasting solutions” to this very important public institution.
The partners for this event are:
The “SOS: Support Public Broadcasting” Coalition which represents a number of trade unions (including Cosatu, Fedusa and Bemawu), a host of NGOs (including Media Monitoring Africa, the Freedom of Expression Institute and Misa-SA), CBOs (including the Freedom of Expression Network), industry related bodies (including the South African Screen Federation), academics and freedom of expression activists. The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) and Constitution Hill are also co-hosting the event.
The venue for the seminar is the historic Constitution Hill, the home of the protector of our basic rights and freedoms.
Invited speakers include:
- Minister of Communications: General (Rtd.) Siphiwe Nyanda (tbc)
- SABC Board representative
- ICASA representative
- Mr. Patrick Craven: COSATU Spokesperson
- Ms. Kate Skinner: SOS Coordinator
- Mr. Feizel Mamdoo – Co-Chair South African Screen Federation (SASFED)
The discussion will be moderated by the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of the Witwatersrand, Professor Tawana Kupe.
The details of the seminar are:
Date: 19th August 2010
Time: 18h00 – 20h00
Venue: Old Mess Hall, Old Fort, Constitution Hill.
(Entrance and parking on Kotze Street and more underground parking on Joubert Street)
Please rsvp with Jayshree Pather (email@example.com) by Wednesday, 18th August 2010.