20 January 2011
South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) group CEO Solly Mokoetle has resigned with immediate effect.
In a short statement to the press, the SABC the board said: "The SABC and Mr Solly Mokoetle wish to announce that Mr Mokoetle has resigned as the SABC CEO with effect from January 19 2011 and will pursue his career elsewhere. The parties have settled all other disputes between them and wish each other well fro the future.”
Earlier on Wednesday the SABC board met with Mokoetle's lawyers and a settlement was reached that board member Cedric Gina insisted was confidential. However, Gina said, "I can say without any fear, it is not a [golden] handshake."
Mokoetle said although the decision was not easy, it was in the best interests of the SABC, its staff, the nation, the board, his family and himself.
"I have been a broadcaster since the age of 18 and that's all I know how to do," he said.
The rest of the saga has been reported here and here. And for those with speedy broadband, you can even view it on video.