10 May 2011
Documentary Producers' Workshop 2011
13 - 15 June 2011, Cape Town
Call For Applications
In an increasingly competitive environment a documentary producer needs a broad range of skills to grow their business, and produce films that can travel internationally.
Encounters, with the support of the Cape Film Commission (CFC) and The National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund (NLDTF), will host a workshop that will assist 10-12 documentary companies' grow capacity so that they can operate optimally. Top industry professionals, specialists in their chosen fields, will run the intensive three-day workshop.
The topics include:
• Introduction to Smart Producing
• Music Rights: Commissioning and Licensing.
• Raising Finance for Documentaries: Exploring sources of finance, locally and internationally, and how to secure those funds.
• Archive Access and Rights: How to clear rights of Archive films, photos, anything that can be owned. What is meant by 'public domain'? What is 'fair use'? Where to find cheaper archives.
• Marketing & Publicity: How to build a marketing & publicity campaign to gain maximum exposure for your film.
• Sales: How to develop a strategy for sales & distribution and to maximise revenue potential.
• Understanding Contracts: The importance of the Chain of Title List of Agreements.
• Working with Broadcasters: From Creative to Financial.
• Running a Small / Medium Enterprise: How to run an efficient business.
The course is designed for small, micro and medium sized production companies, who have produced at least one documentary.
The selection committee will comprise of appointed representatives from the Industry and Encounters. Applicants will be notified by email 10 days before the workshop.
The 3-day course will take place in Cape Town during the Festival, from Monday 13 - Wednesday 15 June. Applicants should be available for the full duration of the course.
• Course materials
• Meals (teas, coffees and lunch)
• Festival tickets to Encounters and invites to functions
A number of bursaries are available, however this does not include transport to or accommodation in Cape Town. Bursary applicants must motivate for a bursary in a cover letter attached to the application.
Application Deadline: Monday 23 May.
Applicants must submit:
• Company profile
• CV of Producer(s)
• Contact co-ordinates
• Motivation for Bursary - where applicable.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact: Mandisa Zitha
Tel: (021) 465 4686
Fax: (021) 461 6964
Original post here.